Welcome.

This blog is intended for YOUR questions and comments about concrete countertops. Along the way of answering them, I will post helpful info, how to articles, and pictures of current projects. Please feel free to post your comments and questions by clicking on the post title, or clicking on the comment link below the post.

Thank you,

Raul Garcia
408.593.5253
cornerstone.concrete.co@gmail.com

The underlined words, and other ads, are ADs that fund this blog. Please click on them...

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Outdoor Kitchen Ideas...

Email cornerstone.surface.designs@gmail.com for estimates on concrete countertops indoor, and outdoor!

Concrete Countertops for an outdoor Barbecue Pit. One project that stands out this summer is this emerald green, concrete countertop, created for an outdoor Barbecue Pit. The owner really took advantage of our ability to mold concrete in any shape and form. The Concrete countertop was built in two levels. The lower level being the main base, a place to put cooking utensils, plates, etc. The upper level being a bar for friends to relax, and enjoy a cold drink while hanging out. The owner opted to build the base himself out of wood framing, which actually supported the weight of the two concrete countertops very well, although I normally build the base myself out of cinder blocks. I formed a small modern bull nose around the perimeter, and a 14" cantilever edge at the bar area to provide leg room. After I poured the countertops, I lightly polished them. I then applied a custom color concrete stain. The owner specified emerald green, which does not exist as for as concrete color goes. So with a little patience, I was able to mix a few different concrete stains, and the owner was very happy with it.



Pay no mind to the wood studs, I was told that later the whole frame of the Barbecue Pit was faced with synthetic stones, which I am sure looks great, and of course all the appliances were also added including a Viking Grill.



I am very happy with this design, and the ideas you can get from knowing with concrete countertops, anything is possible.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Thanks for your blog and information. I'm building an outdoor bar similiar to this oudoor kitchen. I've polished down to the aggregate. Do you have a recommendation for a penetrating, water based, color enhancing sealer for polished concrete that would be good for outside full sun and harsh winters (I will cover it in the winter). I haven't found anything that meets all these criteria. I'd love to share some images, but not sure how to post them in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thank you for your comment.
    I would recommend a water based product by a company in Tracy, CA. The product is called tech seal, and the company is called the suretec system. I'm sure you can order and have it shipped to you. I would also like to share some images, email me at cornerstone.surface.designs@gmail.com when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your knowledge keep it the good work going.

    ReplyDelete